HEALTHY LIVING FEATURES
|20 ways to have a healthier day today|
Posted: July 2012
Little steps can take you a long way down the road to a healthier lifestyle. Try these today and see how much better you feel.
- Weed a flower bed or cut the grass. You’ll use about 100 calories in 30 minutes.
- Ditch the cream and put lower fat milk in your coffee.
- Jog up a hill and walk down. If it feels good, do it three times. If not, do it four times!
- Break a big task into manageable parts and tackle the first one.
- Pass on the donut, muffin or Danish during your break and have an apple instead.
- Sign up for the My Heart&Stroke Healthy Weight Action Plan.
- Connect with a friend who makes you feel good. No, not on Facebook – pick up the phone or better yet, make it face-to-face.
- Eat five fruits or veggies. Green beans, snow peas, cherries and plums are in season and so good!
- Dig out a skipping rope or hula hoop and challenge your kids to a contest. Or just tickle each other till your sides hurt!
- Make an appointment for your annual check-up.
- Tidy up one pile of paper or junk in your home. Feel your stress level drop a couple of points.
- Plan next week’s dinners and make a grocery list. Get started with our recipes and printable list.
- Close your eyes for two minutes and count your long, slow breaths.
- Walk home, or part way home, from work.
- Eat fish for dinner; salmon or trout gives you heart-healthy omega-3 fats.
- Make a date with your honey or a friend to do something active this weekend. A few ideas: Take a walk, go dancing, play tennis, ride bikes.
- Head to the garden and smell the roses. Literally.
- PVR Modern Family and take a walk instead. If the kids are sleeping, take the baby monitor outside and stroll around the yard.
- Limit your late-night snacks. Enjoy something light but filling, then brush your teeth to signal the end of eating for the day.
PLUS A BONUS ITEM:
- Plan to do the same things tomorrow.