Curried chicken pita
Makes 2 servings
This quick, easy pita can be put together in no time flat. To make it even easier, buy a prepared roast chicken or make extra breasts the next time you put a chicken in the oven.
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) red pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) green apple, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) red grapes, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 whole-wheat pita, cut in half
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) light mayonnaise type dressing
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grainy dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) curry powder
- pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix together mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder and pepper. Toss in chicken, red pepper, apple, grapes and romaine.
- Place the mixture into each half of the pita.
The curried mayonnaise lends itself to many vegetables, so if you don't have all the veggies or fruits that are recommended, just improvise!
Nutritional information per serving
- Calories: 287
- Protein: 27 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 63 mg
- Carbohydrate: 34 g
- Sodium: 445 mg
- Potassium: 539 mg
Recipe developed by Nadine Day, a registered dietitian. © The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Posted April 2007.