Chocolate banana breakfast bars
Makes 24 bars
Parents don’t let the title fool you! These fun-filled breakfast bars are also filled with all the good stuff you want your kids to eat such as whole-wheat flour, ground flax, oats, yogurt and banana. The chocolate chips add the fun that kids want!
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) soft, non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mashed banana (1 medium)
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain non-fat yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) ground flax seed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 3 cups (750 mL) oats, uncooked
- 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350º F (180º C).
- Beat sugars and margarine together.
- Add banana, yogurt, egg and vanilla.
- Combine flour, flax, baking soda, and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Spread dough onto an un-greased 13 x 19 inch (33 cm x 48 cm) baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut into 24 bars.
Tip: These bars even hold together well enough for lunch bags.
Nutritional information per serving
- Calories: 154
- Protein: 3 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturates: 2 g
- Dietary Cholesterol: 16 mg
- Carbohydrate: 25 g
- Sodium: 92 mg
- Potassium: 150 mg
Nadine Day is a registered dietitian, specializing in children’s menus.
©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.