Red wine poached pears
Makes 4 servings
This dessert is low in fat and calories, but is very elegant and great for dinner parties.
- 4 Bartlett pears, ripe but firm
- 1 750 mL bottle of red wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 whole star anise (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
- Peel the pears and cut in half. Remove seeds and stem.
- In a medium sauce pan heat wine, spices and sugar over medium high heat. Add pears and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let the pears cool in the wine mixture for an additional 20 minutes. Transfer the pears to a plate and discard the liquid.
- Place ½ cup (125 mL) of frozen yogurt in each dessert dish and top with 2 pear halves.
Nutritional information per serving
(½ cup/125 mL frozen yogurt and 1 whole pear)
- Calories: 206
- Protein: 5 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 5 mg
- Carbohydrate: 45 g
- Sodium: 61 mg
- Potassium: 383 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Posted February 2008