Tofu hummus tortillas
Makes 10 tortillas
A traditional hummus made of chickpeas is high in protein. Adding soft tofu not only increases the protein, but also the rich creamy texture of this hummus. This filling is mild and soft so if you don’t feel like tortillas you can serve it up as an easy dip or spread for sandwiches.
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chickpeas
- 1 pkg (300 g) soft tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) tahini paste
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Hot pepper sauce to taste (optional)
- 1 pkg (710 g) large whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chunky salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced tomato
- In food processor bowl, pulse chickpeas until coarse. Add tofu, tahini and lemon juice. Puree until smooth. Add garlic, cumin, salt and hot pepper sauce, if using and pulse until combined.
- Divide mixture evenly among centre of tortillas. Top with salsa. Sprinkle centre of each tortilla with lettuce and tomato. Roll up and enjoy.
Tip: For an added kick you can use a spicy salsa.
Nutrition information per serving
- Calories: 337
- Protein: 13 g
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Sodium: 434 mg
- Potassium: 401 mg
Developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Posted March 2008.