Chocolate cake with raspberries
Makes 10 servings
This cake is so moist and chocolatey no one will ever guess it is good for you, too!
- ¼ cup (50 mL) canola oil
- ¾ cup (175 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup (125 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain, fat-free yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) almond flavoured liqueur (optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup (50 mL) apple jelly, melted
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C). Line the bottom of a spring form pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, vanilla, egg and egg white.
- In a second bowl, combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add it slowly to the first bowl. Gently mix in the yogurt.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- While the cake is still hot, brush the liqueur over the top (if using). Let cool.
- Loosen the edge of the cake from the spring form pan and remove the cake. Place the raspberries on the top of the cake and brush on the melted apple jelly. Dust with icing sugar if desired.
Nutritional information per serving
(1/10 of cake)
- Calories: 206
- Protein: 5 g
- Total fat: 7 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 19 mg
- Carbohydrate: 34 g
- Sodium: 127 mg
- Potassium: 270 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Posted August 2008