Roasted chickpeas – three ways
Makes 2 cups (500 mL)
This snack is very easy to make and will add fibre, iron and folate to your diet. All you have to do is take the basic ingredients and then add the spice of your choice: will it be savoury pizza, sweet cinnamon or Southwestern spice?
- 1 can (19 oz / 560 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
Savoury pizza crunch chickpeas
- 2 tsp (10 mL) parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
Sweet cinnamon chickpeas
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
Southwestern spice chickpeas
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ancho chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C).
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and dry them really well in a paper towel. Place them in a large bowl and toss with olive oil. Set aside.
- Mix together one of the above spice mixtures. Toss with the chickpeas and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until crunchy. Store in an air tight container for 3 days.
Nutritional information per serving
(¼ cup / 50 mL)
- Calories: 79
- Protein: 3 g
- Total fat: 3 g
- Saturated fat: 0 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 11 g
- Sodium: 123 mg
- Potassium: 105 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Posted: May 2009