Keeping a bag of frozen mixed vegetables in your freezer is an easy way to pump up your chili with flavour and texture, not to mention extra servings of vegetables! This chili is perfect served up with a crunchy salad.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.
- 5 mL (1 tsp) canola oil
- 1 sirloin grilling steak (about 375 g/12 oz), chopped into 1 cm (1/2 inch) pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chili powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) each dried oregano leaves and ground cumin
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 500 mL (2 cups) mixed frozen vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) no salt added red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) tomato paste
- In large shallow saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat and brown steak. Remove to plate.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomatoes, vegetables, beans and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Stir in steak; reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until thickened.
Tip: Vary the frozen vegetables to suit your taste; for example, try 250 mL (1 cup) frozen corn or peas and 250 mL (1 cup) of any other of your favourites.
Posted: January 2012