Grilled or broiled, this easy family dinner combines chicken and vegetables. A dash of vinegar makes it extra tender and flavourful.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sodium reduced chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 lb. (500 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch (3.5 cm) cubes
- 1 large yellow or green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 12 small mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- In a resealable bag, combine broth, oil, vinegar, garlic, cumin and oregano leaves. Add chicken breast cubes, seal bag and massage to coat well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Thread chicken cubes onto 4 metal skewers. Thread peppers, mushrooms and onions onto 4 separate skewers.
- Place chicken and vegetable skewers on greased grill over medium heat and grill, turning occasionally for about 8 minutes for the chicken or until no longer pink inside and about 12 minutes for the vegetables or until golden and tender crisp.
Broiling option: If it’s too cold to grill outside, lay kabobs on foil-lined baking sheet. Place about 6 inches (15 cm) under broiler and broil for about 8 minutes, turning once or until chicken is no longer pink inside and vegetables are golden brown.
Tip: If metal skewers are not available you can use wooden skewers, but be sure to soak them at least 30 minutes in water before using to prevent flare ups.
Posted: November 2012