Enjoy this creamy vanilla comfort food warm or cold. Using almond non dairy beverage makes this a perfect sweet treat for family members with dairy sensitivities.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2013.
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown basmati rice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pot barley
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) vanilla flavoured almond non-dairy beverage
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring water, rice, barley, cinnamon and cardamom pods to boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.
- Uncover and stir in almond beverage and dates. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and stir in almonds, if using; cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips: For a more intense vanilla flavour, add 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract with the almonds.
For a less sweet tasting rice pudding, look for unsweetened almond non-dairy beverage in your grocery or health food stores.
Posted: October 2013
per serving (1/2 cup/125 mL)
- Calories 139
- Protein 2 g
- Total Fat 1 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 33 g
- Sodium 29 mg
- Potassium 215 mg
- Added sugars 3 g